Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Time Management Blues

Time Management. The bane of my life. As a young person, I was exceptional at time management. Not anymore. Now, I rely on a set schedule to help me organize my time. At present, ideally, I have 2-3 hours every Monday through Friday to write. A fair amount of time, and a fairly regular amount of time, but significantly less than I would like. (A conundrum I believe ALL writers find themselves in, no?) But, it's only enough time for me to get involved in one project a day or even a week.

A couple of weeks ago, I realized that I was spending an hour or two a day on this blog and then not doing and writing. Sigh. This is representative of another of my writerly struggles: a massive tendency for procrastination and conflict avoidance. Is writing a conflict? Well, it's a struggle. It's wrestling with ideas. It's WORK, dammit.

So, as you can see by the date of my last entry, I decided to cut back on the time I spend on the blog and put more energy into writing. Still, I am masterful at avoinding hard projects. I was ducking away from my "real" writing projects: the article writing. I fiddled around with a story, outlined a possible plot for a whole new novel, (I only have 2 unfinished ones haunting me!) wrote a poem. I still wasn't just writing. So that's my goal for this week. I'm going to draw the line after this sentence, and return my attention to my current project -- an article about Urban Explorers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl - write that article - I dare you! I too share in your malady. I have several "begun" projects, as you have witnessed. I don't admit to writer's block, because I can write and write and write. I just don't always write the right thing. I commiserate with ye.
Hurray on the writing of a poem. I look forward to the hearing or the reading thereof. I have posted my most recent poetic endeavor, "Borrow Pit", on my blog. I haven't progressed further on poor neglected "White Feather" but have a new idea, which I dreamed in a dream, "Three Pairs of Shoes". More on that when we meet again. Also when we are face to face, more on my Cornerstone experience.

Mel

Anonymous said...

I love that you are writing about urban exploration. Very intriguing, silly, dangerous stuff (take your pick of an adjective.)

I am one of the most evasive writers out there. I like to call the time management problems, procrastination, etc all self-handicapping problems. As I've recently read in my Ed. Psych. book, it might just be a protective measure. If you don't work your very hardest, you have an excuse for yourself when you fail. Therefore, its a protective measure when a writer doesn't write. I know I will fail but I didn't try my hardest so I won't take it too personally. That's the gist. I need to learn bravery.