Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Writing Group this week and a couple of links

My writing group is this week and I'm debating what to bring. I'm often shy about bringing work to the group. The irony here is gross -- I lead the group most of the time and try to put other people at ease to read their materials on a monthly basis and yet I find it really intimidating to bring my own writing to workshop. Theirs is truly okay, but mine is truly crap. It's a mental trap that I have to work myself out of. Certainly I have brought work in the past and all was fine, and it will be fine again. I'm just nervous. [Addendum: I took in 6 pages of Shelter and it went just fine. They didn't laugh me out of the room after all.]

Given the recent Cassie Edwards scandal, we all need to know what is and isn't plagiarism, but we also need to know about copyrights.
Here's a link from Writing.com with several articles dealing with different aspects of the matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey GirlFriend,
So sorry I missed your six pages! I'm sure they were more than okay - I'd wager they were excellent! Maybe I can have a private reading sometime. I promise I won't laugh either.

Ginger said...

Oh, the inability to look at one's own work as anything but bad! I do it, too. I think most writers do, to some degree. The good news is, other people see what we've written and don't--can't--compare it to what we meant to write.