Thursday, November 09, 2006

Would you like sour cream with that?

Webdelsol.com features a series of essays called Writers On The Job: Tales of Non-Writing. Even though I've been doing plenty of writing of late, I still find camaraderie in writers discussing what happens when they're away from their desks/cafe tables/zinc bars.

Celia Woloch's piece titled "I'm Really Not a Waitress (Or Am I?)" resonated with the former waitress in me. I, too, have blue-collar roots, child-bearing hips, and -- thanks to years of waitressing -- the ability to gracefully navigate a swinging door with a three-foot tray bearing thirty pounds of food and china. Once I left my last waiting job, I had a real sense of "God, I'll never do THAT again!" but Woloch's piece is a nice bit of nostalgia. It reminds me to appreciate my strength and resourcefulness. Luckily, I have no ex-husband, but in between publications, I could always waitress.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everyone should be required to "serve" before they go out into the world. It helps wear down the feeling of entitlement that too many kids have. And it's a great opportunity to eavesdrop on people for story ideas!

Darlene said...

If not waiting tables, then definitely teaching. Public service of some sort should be mandatory. :) It's true though, some of my best ideas come from service-sector jobs!

Do you feel nostalgia for waiting ever?

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? I have three children and a husband who doesn't know his way to the kitchen! I LIVE in the service sector!