Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Conundrum

The girls at the Renegade Writer blog have posted a great interview with Michelle Goodman who's book The Anti 9-to-5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube surfaced last year. (Here's Michelle's blog.) In the interview, Goodman addresses the question of how to make the jump from small, low-paying assignments to more rewarding work. I've been mulling this one myself recently. I've now written nearly 20 articles for the Post-Tribune, and I like the work well enough, but it's not what I want to be doing. I take the assignments because, hey, at least they're assignments! But they take up time I could be using to pursue more challenging work. Do I keep working for peanuts or suck up the money shortage for a couple weeks to push out some queries? What do you think?

2 comments:

Mega-Jason said...

Damn the torpedoes and grab that brass ring! Show that leprechaun who's boss and take that gold - uh! But, look out for what a life of carefree, self-satisfying writing can do to a woman and the people around her...don't worry after your life spins maddly out of control leaving the weight of the world bearing on you shoulders and all humanity layings it's shame on you, leaving you shivering and clutching a tattered old manuscript, there will always be a sofa for you and your broken family to crash on at my place.

I say go for it.

Anonymous said...

Write right away, write as if your life depended on it, not just diapers and cute tiny dresses!

Hey Woman - just joined zoetrope! It's a blast!

Sorry I dropped the ball at Blank Slate, it was caught by the very competent Joyce.

Let's do more coffee, that was good. Mmmm good.