Friday, January 05, 2007

Get up and dance

This morning I'm listening to 12" remixes of 80's music on iTunes radio -- Erasure, right now, for the curious -- to help me stay awake. It's confusing. I don't know whether to get up and dance or put my head on the table and sleep. (And thus, the inherent conflict of the bipolar.) I'm not wearing anything sequined or see-through, though, so I suppose I better just write.

I am free of the university now, and significantly calmer, and once again ready to tackle the serious responsibility (smirk) of the blog. I was disappointed by how easily I fell off the wagon last semester. But now there are no more semesters for me, and I couldn't feel more relieved. So I'll just get on with it...

First up, a beautiful excuse for poets to skip the gym and stay home with a notebook. I'm not lazy, I'm dwelling in Possibility. Anyone have any great 2006 poetry recommendations?

There's truth in this piece by Jenna Glatzer, encouraging us to write about what terrifies us. It's marvelous advice, and certainly, for me, some really important stories have come out this way -- not necessarily publishable stories, but important. I also think that I shrink from it at times: my fiction tends towards the very dark. These stories are essential to me -- they are the terrifying stories I need to tell, but sometimes I just can't face them.

And one contest link for midwest poets: The deadline for the Poetry Center of Chicago Juried Reading is January 27, 2007. Get on it.

Until next week...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the freedom! Thanks for the poetry links, it's like you were writing the blog just for me!

Darlene said...

I aim to please, and take requests too! What can I find for you today? :) It's that waitress heritage zapping me again!